Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Challenge 59 - Mardi Gras

       Several years ago, (when curriculum allowed for more flexibility), my second graders and I went on a year long "journey" to places all over the world.  Our whole day was focused on wherever we happened to be.  Math, reading, everything was related to our destination.  We "traveled" to New Orleans and had a great time.  We made masks, ate king cake, and even had our own parade around the school!  We were having so much fun, I don't think they realized how much they were learning.  I have former students who are now grown, come to visit and one of the first things they always say is "remember when we went to __"! 
      I loved this challenge.  I have never been, in reality, to New Orleans.  I am not sure I honestly would even like to go to Mardi Gras.  But even so, I loved thinking about masks.  Masks are fascinating to me.  They are such beautiful works of art.  So the first thing I did was, of course, Google Mardi Gras masks.  After looking at several, I decided on a style to use - full face, fancy lady.  I really wanted to use color, but just couldn't get it worked out how.  So I kept it black and white, then mounted it on gold, green and purple paper. 
      I had to include the challenge in my Tangle-A-Day calendar.  This time, I added some color with my scrapbooking markers.  I wish the points on them were a lot smaller, but until I get that set of micron colored pens I have my eye on, they will just have to do.  Either way, I had lots of fun on my day off of school (President's Day).
       I also had time to work on another mandala.  I really love this art form.  I am constantly looking and admiring other people's work on-line.  It just seems to be a natural partner for zentangle.  I tried to use more organic tangles than my usual style.  I think it is my favorite of my mandalas yet. 
       Hope your week is a great one!  I really appreciate the wonderful comments you leave.  It is so exciting to read what you have to say!  So until next time . . . .

10 comments:

  1. Oh, they are beautiful. The mysterious woman-mask and then those bright colors on the other one. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty...LOVE the first one...but your mandala is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story about your classroom adventures and journeys! I keep in touch with my first grade teacher, and it's been 40 years since I sat in her classroom. I need to call her, I will write myself a note. :)

    All of your drawings are beautiful! Your calendar pages are so fun and festive, Your mask is outstanding, and your Mandala is so lovely! I'm so glad I stopped bye your blog... very inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Mardi Gras woman. (and the Mandala)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all three. the woman in mask and headdress are unique, I love the calendar idea. I think I have one and forgot to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mardi Gras and the mandala are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some sunshine! Your comments make my day!